Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6th - marathon #25

Baltimore - Annapolis trail marathon was an overall success. This was going to be a good training marathon. There was no taper. Finished the week with 92.22 miles. Right on target. My plan was to hold 7:40-7:45 pace through 20 then push the last 10k. Through 20 I was @7:33 pace. Felt good but then at 21 felt a muscle spasm in left quad. Decided to pull back and not push it. Then at mile 22 had another sharp spasm that threw me off stride. Being a training run I didn't panic and just focused on finishing. At mile 24 I came upon another runner who was also struggling. I decided to slow down and run/walk with him and help him to the finish. The last 2 miles were slow but it was great to help and talk to the guy. Sometimes a time is not as rewarding as aiding another runner in need. In the big picture today was not a failure but a success. It was a good training run. 43 days is the goal. Tomorrow is a SRD and much needed if I might say. Tuesday I will resume getting the miles in. Next week at lower potomac I am thinking about running without the garmin and simply by feel. Again there will be no taper and another long training run. Good times! Looking forward to another solid week of training!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great race--I'm amazed at how effortlessly you can run 7:30 to 7:45 pace with all of the miles you log and all of the racing you do. Then again, maybe that's why it's so easy for you.

    And nice job helping your fellow runner when he was having a hard time. The running gods owe you big time on April 18th!

    ReplyDelete